Saturday, January 29, 2011

What am I doing with all of these rocks in my pocket?

Ok...here's my first attempt at blogging!  Guess this is a "get to know me", and why I am doing this kind of session.

It came to me in a dream about a year ago - that I would write a book, that is.  This dream was very vivid and when I woke up, I knew that writing was what I was supposed to do, along with the title of this book.  I got up that morning and told the kids and hubby my dream...of course they just gave me that "deer in the headlight" look, and thought I had lost my mind.  Well, quite honestly, I'm not far from that now!  I had no clue what the contents of the book were supposed to be about, or why I was supposed to write.  I did, however, know why the name of the book was to be.  In my dream, I named my book "A Pocket Full of Rocks".  The reason - I love rocks!  I have always loved rocks, even when I was a little girl.  I have collected rocks of every size, shape and color.  My daddy would bring home rocks, fossils and even an arrowhead from his work site (he was a Civil Engineer and helped with the construction of a dam on the Red
River in Louisiana).  So, with all of that being said, apparently my first born had that same love!  He was little; maybe 2 or 3, and he would fill his little jeans pockets with rocks from the playground.  It might have been pea gravel to most but to him, this was his "surprise".  He couldn't wait for me to pick him up from daycare so that he could show me the "surprise" that he had gotten me!  Everyday he would come home and empty out his little pockets into a mason jar for me - "Mommy's Rocks".  The funny part - I never, ever told him of my obsession and love for rocks!! (since then, I have discovered that we can so read each other like a book, which is probably not a good thing for him!)

So, this brings me to why I am writing this blog.... I guess I thought I would never get anything on paper and my book would never be, so I figured I could at least get something written, somewhere and maybe that would inspire me!  So, here it is!  I hope you enjoy my many adventures with four children, a hubby, a cat and a dog (all of my rocks)!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm so happy to see you follow through on something you wanted to do. As mothers we tend to put ourselves last. Our dreams and wants can always wait until our children have achived theirs, right? But that's wrong. We don't inspire our children by not living our dreams and pursuing our wants. We inspire our children by showing them how to reach higher, learning by example. So you go girl for starting your blog, and I hope you find the book you dreamed of once you get it all down in print! (P.S. Your children have given my children rocks which I have discovered in my dryer...)

    ReplyDelete